Friday, July 20, 2012

Diana López

Diana López is the author of the adult novella, Sofia’s Saints and the middle grade novels, Confetti Girl Ask My Mood Ring How I Feel (to be released in 2013).

Her new book is the young adult novel, Choke.

A few weeks ago I asked the author what she was reading. Her reply:
I usually read several books at a time. Here’s a sample of what I’m currently enjoying.

In April, I attended the TLA Conference in Houston during Teen Day when book clubs from all over Texas take a field trip to the event. I asked the teens about their favorite books, and many of them mentioned Matched by Ally Condie. For a fan of sci-fi and YA, this is a must-read. It’s about Cassia Reyes who lives in a society where officials decide who you will marry and where you will work. That’s bad enough but the real horror, in my opinion, is that only one hundred poems have been approved. Imagine living in a world with only one hundred poems. A nightmare! So far, Cassia seems to accept her life. She is very obedient and when the officials make a mistake, she keeps their secret. But I have just read the scene where Cassia’s grandfather gives her a forbidden poem, so I have a feeling she’s going to change, maybe challenge the system. After all, that is the power of literature.

I’m also reading Phillis Wheatley: Biography of a Genius in Bondage by Vincent Carretta. It has a scholarly tone, so I read it in the morning when my mind is sharp. I love reading history books, both non-fiction and fiction, and this one does a good job of portraying Phillis Wheatley’s world and of providing a context with which to interpret her poems.
Finally, I like reading short stories. Right now, I’m enjoying Along These Highways by Rene Perez. It’s especially interesting because some of the stories take place in Corpus Christi, my hometown. Other recent favorites are Breathing, In Dust by Tim Z. Hernandez and Before the End, After the Beginning by Dagoberto Gilb.

I could go on and on about all the wonderful books out there. Luckily, there is no end to interesting stories. I can only sigh when I think about it ... so many books, so little time.
Visit Diana López's website.

--Marshal Zeringue