Monday, July 23, 2012

Rebecca Cantrell

Rebecca Cantrell writes the Hannah Vogel mystery series set in Berlin in the 1930s, including A Trace of Smoke, A Night of Long Knives, A Game of Lies, and the newly released A City of Broken Glass.

Recently I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
Right now I’m reading two books at the same time.

The first is a collection of essays about Berlin. It’s in German, and it’s called Berlin literarisch or Literary Berlin and is edited by Jürgen Engler.

It’s a literary romp through Berlin as seen through the eyes of the writers who have lived or visited here at some time during the last three hundred years. Some love it, some hate it, but all of them are drawn into the mysterious energy that is Berlin.

The second book is called Berlin: City of Stones and it’s a graphic novel by Jason Lutes. I stumbled across it in my local library and was delighted to find a carefully rendered view into 1920s Berlin as told through the life of an art student named Marthe Müller and a journalist named Kurt Severing.

I love hearing the voices and seeing the pen and ink drawings that give me new insights into the city that has fascinated me as a writer, the city that I now feel lucky to call home.
Learn more about the book and author at Rebecca Cantrell's website and blog.

Read "The Story Behind the Story: A City of Broken Glass" at The Rap Sheet.

The Page 69 Test: A Trace of Smoke.

My Book, The Movie: A Trace of Smoke.

The Page 69 Test: A Game of Lies.

My Book, The Movie: A Game of Lies.

--Marshal Zeringue