Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mark de Castrique

A native of North Carolina, Mark de Castrique writes mysteries primarily set in the Appalachian mountains. He is an award-winning film and video producer whose work has been broadcast on PBS, HBO, and network-affiliate stations as well as the author of the Sam Blackman mystery series, the Buryin’ Barry series, and two mysteries for young adults.

His latest thriller is The 13th Target.

Recently I asked the author what he was reading.  His reply:
I have two very different books on my nightstand: Game of Thrones and Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog. The first is known by millions - if not readers, than HBO viewers. I was given the book and told not to watch the TV series until I had read it. I don't read much fantasy, but this one is hard to categorize. George R.R. Martin does an excellent job in creating a mythical realm that is both familiar and alien. I'm surprised by the number of people I've talked with who come from a wide variety of reading tastes yet have this book in common. I'm enjoying being immersed in Martin's world.

The second book, Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog, is not as well known. The subtitle is "The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences." I'll admit there aren't a lot of car chases and cliffhanger moments in this book (unless you count a few diagrammed dangling participles), but as one who came through school in the last days of this analytical, grammatical tool, I have a soft sentimental spot for the art and the teachers who taught it. As a writer, I construct scenes with sentences, and author Kitty Burns Florey offers a nostalgic and appreciative perspective on what I believe more writers could use as fundamental tools of their craft. I can't wait for HBO to make it into a series!
Visit Mark de Castrique's website.

Coffee with a Canine: Mark de Castrique & Gracie.

The Page 69 Test: The 13th Target.

My Book, The Movie: The 13th Target.

--Marshal Zeringue