Sunday, August 26, 2018

Gina Wohlsdorf

Gina Wohlsdorf’s first novel, Security, was chosen as an Amazon Best Book of 2016.

Her new novel is Blood Highway.

Recently I asked Wohlsdorf about what she was reading. Her reply:
The other day I finished The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. I was recently saying to my friend Keiko that I found the Tao Te Ching frustrating, since all its assertions seemed to proudly negate themselves. She said, “You should read The Tao of Pooh. Then the Tao Te Ching will make total sense.” She was right.

Before that I read Remind Me Again What Happened by Joanna Luloff, a pal of mine here in Denver. We recently did a signing together in Boulder, and we carpooled, so of course I unearthed an eighties mix cd for us to enjoy on the ride. Fun fact: she and I do a mean duet of “Take My Breath Away” by Berlin. Another fun fact: we have very similar opinions about the love scene in Top Gun that that particular song soundtracks, i.e., How did they get from the middle of the street to Kelly McGillis’s bedroom? Did they take separate vehicles? Did they shamble there, making out the whole time, stumbling down sidewalks in love-drunk fashion? I don’t need a play-by-play of how we arrived at her house, but the action transitions from rage-kissing on a busy thoroughfare to naked and doing it amidst a bunch of gauzy drapes. So confusing.

Next up is the Juniper Song series by Steph Cha. I’m doing an event with her in LA in a couple of weeks, and I’m really excited to read another hard-boiled mystery, since I’ve completely run out of Tana French novels and I’m jonesing.
Visit Gina Wohlsdorf's website.

My Book, The Movie: Blood Highway.

The Page 69 Test: Blood Highway.

--Marshal Zeringue