Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Derek Wilson

D. K. Wilson is one of Britain's leading popular historians and is a highly regarded expert on the Tudor period. His history books include Charlemagne, The Uncrowned Kings of England, and Peter the Great. The Traitor's Mark is his first novel published in America.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. Wilson's reply:
My next two books – Superstition and Science – Renaissance to Enlightenment, a non-fic study of 16th-17th C thought, and The Devil’s Chalice – No.3 in the Thomas Treviot series of Tudor crime novels – are taking me deep into the world of the Renaissance magi. This is well-populated territory but, at the moment, I am particularly enjoying Philip Ball, The Devil’s Doctor: Paracelsus and the World of Renaissance Magic and Science and Allan Chapman, Stargazers: Copernicus, Galileo, the Telescope and the Church.

Keeping up my reading on my core area of expertise, life in Reformation England, has introduced me to two super new biographies. Lauren Mackay’s Inside the Tudor Court is an investigation of the life and work of Eustace Chapuys, imperial ambassador at the court of Henry VIII, and The Lost Princess by Alison Weir offers a new look at royal affairs in England and Scotland through the eventful life of Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox.

As a Christian, I am a great fan of Tom Wright, one of our leading theologians, and I am waiting to get into Paul and His Recent Interpreters.

All that just allows me a little time for writing, eating and sleeping.
Visit D.K. Wilson's website.

--Marshal Zeringue