Thursday, December 10, 2015

Jack McDevitt

Jack McDevitt is a former English teacher, naval officer, Philadelphia taxi driver, customs officer, and motivational trainer.

His new novel is Thunderbird.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. His reply:
I’m scheduled to do a presentation on Mark Twain for the St Simons Island Literary Guild in a few weeks, so I’ve been reading every Mark Twain book I can find, other than novels, most of which I’ve already read. Just finished The Library of America edition of his Collected Tales, Sketches, Speeches,& Essays, 1852-1890. I’ve been discovering that, while he deserves his reputation as America’s Great Humorist, he also has a dark side. It’s evident that he believes life is too painful to be worthwhile, not only for humans, but for everything else on the planet. I’m also reading The World As It Is, by Chris Hedges, which examines the issues currently plaguing the effort to create a stable civilization across the globe. I suspect Hedges, though he limits his analysis to culture, politics, and war, would be much in agreement.
Learn more about the book and author at Jack McDevitt's website.

The Page 69 Test: Firebird.

The Page 69 Test: Thunderbird.

--Marshal Zeringue