Monday, December 7, 2015

Stephanie Thornton

Stephanie Thornton is a writer and high school history teacher who has been obsessed with infamous women from ancient history since she was twelve. Her first two novels, The Secret History: A Novel of Empress Theodora and Daughter of the Gods: A Novel of Ancient Egypt, focus on two of history's forgotten women: Theodora of the Byzantine Empire and Pharaoh Hatshepsut. Her third novel, The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan, is the story of Genghis' wife and daughters.

Thornton's new novel is The Conqueror's Wife.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I'm currently reading a whole slew of books for research on my next book, but for fun I'm reading three very different books. There's always a historical fiction book on my list so right now I'm thoroughly enjoying Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler which provides a closer look between the notoriously wild couple that was F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife.

At night I'm reading Into the Wild by Erin Hunter to my daughter, the first in the Warriors series about feral cats. (Side note: My daughter adores these books and has almost the entire series. Highly recommended for third graders!)

I'm also re-reading 1984 by George Orwell for the high school Government class I teach and am attempting to understand A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
Visit Stephanie Thornton's website.

The Page 69 Test: The Conqueror's Wife.

--Marshal Zeringue