Monday, December 17, 2018

Sarah Bailey

Sarah Bailey lives in Melbourne, Australia and has two young sons and one very old cat. She has fifteen years experience in the advertising industry and is currently a director at creative projects company Mr Smith.

Bailey's second novel is Into The Night.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
There has been quite a diverse mix of books on my reading pile recently which I always enjoy. It’s nice to dive into completely different worlds and I certainly feel like I’ve met some characters I won’t forget.

Hidden Killers, Lynda La Plante

I am on a Lynda La Plante binge at the moment because I am lucky enough to be interviewing the master of the police procedural in Australia this February! I love her female protagonist Jane Tennison and it is interesting to read about her navigating her role as a junior police officer in the 1970’s. I love how smart and assertive she is while still being so empathetic.

Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng

This book, Ng’s second, completely pulled me in. I found it utterly intoxicating. It was structured in an interesting way, with the ending at the beginning but even though you knew what happened, the way Ng teased out why, and managed such a range of wonderful characters, was masterful.

The Lost Man, Jane Harper

Jane’s third book is a bit different from her other two, it’s more family drama than a crime thriller, but I absolutely loved it. A popular local farmer died in the middle of one of the most isolated parts of Australia. Suicide is suspected, as is accidental death, but as the family gather in their dead brother’s farmhouse it becomes apparent that perhaps something more sinister is at play. It simmers with tension and as a reader you absolutely feel like a fly on the wall, watching the secrets bubble to the surface as the truth is slowly revealed.

The Wolf Hour, Sarah Myles

Set in both Africa and Australia in 2008, this beautiful family drama explores the notion of what it means to be good, and the complexity that comes with trying to navigate another culture. It also looks at the challenges parents face when their children grow up and how much the decisions they make reflect on them. It is a book about responsibility and letting go they but acknowledges that family ties are strong and visceral. The Wolf Hour tackles complicated and dark issues but they are considered in a clever and nuanced way.
Visit Sarah Bailey's website.

The Page 69 Test: Into the Night.

My Book, The Movie: Into the Night.

--Marshal Zeringue