Monday, March 30, 2015

Amy Scheibe

Born in Minnesota and reared in North Dakota, Amy Scheibe currently lives in Manhattan with her husband, Brian Flynn, and their two children.

Her new novel is A Fireproof Home for the Bride.

Recently I asked Scheibe about what she was reading. Her reply:
I try to juggle multiple books, typically one for pleasure, one for parenting, and one for research. Since I am currently digging into history for the next novel, I’m traveling back in time to Mein Kampf by you-know-who. The writing is dull as dirt, but in order for me to better understand what led up to the de-personification of an entire race/religion, I need to crack inside the creepy little mind of Mr. Hitler. I have just finished Erik Larson’s In the Garden of the Beasts, which is required reading about 1933 Nazi Germany, especially if you want to understand what is happening in the center of Iraq today.

For parenting, I’m reading The Opposite of Spoiled, by Ron Lieber. My poor kids. I’ve gone from dishing out whatever they need to putting them both on an allowance-determined budget. I know it’s good for them, but it’s quite a jolt at ages 9 and 12. The book is empowering, in a way that Sally Koslow’s Slouching Toward Adulthood also is: sharp and funny and a great response to a generation of helicopter parenting fails.

For pleasure I’m sunk deeply into a George Hodgman’s Bettyville, a delicate and piercing memoir of caring for an elderly parent while trying to figure out what came before, and what comes next.
Visit Amy Scheibe's website and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: A Fireproof Home for the Bride.

--Marshal Zeringue