Monday, March 9, 2015

Becky Wallace

In second grade, Becky Wallace had to sit in the corner because she refused to write anything except princess stories and fairy tales (and because she talked too much). Her time in isolation gave her plenty of opportunities to dream up the fantasy worlds she’s been dabbling with ever since.

Wallace's new novel is The Storyspinner.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
Last week I finished The Heart of Betrayal, the sequel to Mary E. Pearson’s The Kiss of Deception. The novel was brilliantly written, even better than the first, with an intriguing plot and layered characters. As I reader, I was deeply invested in all of the POVs and was so disappointed when it ended! The third book will definitely be on my most anticipated list for 2016.

I’m currently reading The Sound of Life and Everything by Krista Van Dolzer, a middle grade historical set in post-World War II California. It has been a revelation to me as a person of white privilege. It makes my heart ache for the people who have and still do suffer from racist slander and attacks. The main character’s mother is such a beautiful example of humanity, empathy, and wisdom—a perfect example of what we all (myself included) should strive to be.
Visit Becky Wallace's website.

My Book, The Movie: The Storyspinner.

--Marshal Zeringue