Wednesday, March 25, 2015

N. K. Traver

As a freshman at the University of Colorado, N. K. Traver decided to pursue Information Technology because classmates said "no one could make a living" with an English degree. It wasn't too many years later Traver realized it didn't matter what the job paid--nothing would ever be as fulfilling as writing. Programmer by day, writer by night, it was only a matter of time before the two overlapped.

Duplicity is Traver's first novel.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
I’m currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, a book I’ve been dying to get my hands on since Schwab announced its publication date last year. Schwab is a master of characterization and little creative details that make a world feel alive. So far there’s a coat with an infinite number of sides, a girl who sets ships on fire, and magic that rules you if you don’t rule it. It’s just so excellent in so many ways. Though I’m not yet finished, I have a feeling this is a book I’ll be pushing into the hands of random strangers.

Another book I’ve recently finished is Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn, which has messed me up in the best way. Kuehn has this way of revealing super important details that’s both subtle and shocking at the same time, and I love her style of writing – it’s a study in voice and unreliable narration. I’m not usually drawn to books that deal with darker issues, but I will always read Kuehn’s work.
Visit N. K. Traver's website.

The Page 69 Test: Duplicity.

--Marshal Zeringue