Saturday, March 7, 2015

Michele Young-Stone

Michele Young-Stone is the author of the novels Above Us Only Sky and The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors, which The Boston Globe called “an exceptionally rich and sure-handed debut.”

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Young-Stone's reply:
Like many writers, I don’t get to read as much as I’d like. I prefer writing stories to reading them, and when I do both things at the same time, I worry that I’ll take on the voice of the writer I’m reading. Well, needless to say, I can’t have this, so when I’m in the throes of writing a novel, I tend to limit my reading to nonfiction, something that informs my own characters. But, between writing novels, I read as many books as I can.

Most recently, I read The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant.

I minored in religious studies so this book was a fascinating read. I particularly liked reading about the female pagan world, the world of goddesses and “the red tent”, at odds and existing parallel to the rising monotheism of the Hebrews. Lately, I’ve been writing more historical fiction, so I very much appreciated how Diamant made Leah and Rachel and Jacob’s only daughter, Dinah, entirely believable and relatable. After finishing the final edits in my last novel and taking a break from writing novel #3, The Red Tent was a real treat.
Learn more about the book and author at Michele Young-Stone's website, blog, and Facebook fan page.

The Page 69 Test: The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors.

My Book, The Movie: The Handbook for Lightning Strike Survivors.

Coffee with a Canine: Michele Young-Stone & Emma (May 2010) and Coffee with a Canine: Michele Young-Stone & Emma Peel and Chauncey.

--Marshal Zeringue