Saturday, May 2, 2015

Erika Robuck

Erika Robuck is the author of Receive Me Falling, Hemingway’s Girl, Call Me Zelda, Fallen Beauty, and the newly released The House of Hawthorne.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Robuck's reply:
Currently, I am reading three books, and all have to do with history in some capacity. First, I’m dipping in and out of a gorgeous photo journal called Hemingway's Paris, by Robert Wheeler. Wheeler took the photographs in black and white from Hemingway’s perspective, and wrote a short reflection on each image tying it to Hemingway's fiction and life. I highly recommend the book to anyone who enjoys photography, Paris, or Hemingway.

I’m also reading The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor. I have long admired O’Connor’s southern gothic style, and the way she writes about the grit of humanity while always offering a glimmer of redemption. I have read some of her longer works, but not all of her short fiction. It is a pleasure.

Finally, I just finished Vanessa and Her Sister, a work of historical fiction by Priya Parmar, that to me represents the very best of the genre. The writing is exquisite, the exploration of the intense relationship between Virginia Woolf and her siblings is captivating, and the telling of the story is unique. It is now one of my all-time favorite books.
Learn more about the book and author at Erika Robuck's website and blog.

My Book, the Movie: Hemingway’s Girl.

--Marshal Zeringue