Monday, May 25, 2015

Will Walton

Will Walton is a book-selling, pop music fanatic who grew up on a farm and now works at the Avid Bookshop in Athens, Georgia.

His new YA novel is Anything Could Happen.

Recently I asked Walton about what he was reading. His reply:
I love this question. Today, I’ll be reading The Transcriptionist, by Amy Rowland—I’m totally smitten with the concept: a lonely transcriptionist in New York who’s starting to lose her grip on reality! I just read a book from the stellar 33&1/3 series: Exile in Guyville, by Gina Arnold. I’m a big fan of Liz Phair’s album, Exile in Guyville (I even got the working title for my second book from one of its tracks!). In her 33&1/3 book, Arnold masterfully dissects the spirit of the culture surrounding Guyville’s release in 1993, as well as some, if not all, of the reasons the album has stood the test of time.

In other recent reading news, my co-workers at Avid Bookshop and I are obsessed with this new novel, A Little Life, by Hanya Yanagihara. It’s devastating and beautiful and complete magic. It’s over 700 pages long, but, in many ways, it feels like a kind of anti-epic. At its core, it is a quiet and intimate portrait of friendship, as well as a close investigation of childhood trauma. Other recent loves: The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson, My Feelings by Nick Flynn, The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith, All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.
Visit Will Walton's website.

--Marshal Zeringue