Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Gwendolyn Womack

Originally from Houston, Texas, Gwendolyn Womack began writing plays in college while freezing in the tundra at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. She received an MFA from CalArts in Directing for theater and film and was a semi-finalist in the Academy’s Nicholl Fellowship. She currently she resides in California and can be found at her keyboard.

The newly released The Memory Painter is Womack's first novel.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Womack's reply:
I tend to read a lot of nonfiction for story research but I try to break for some purely leisure reading when I can. Recently, I finished Publishing by Gail Godwin, which was a fascinating look at her experiences through the years in the publishing industry.

And currently I’m reading two books at the same time, something I actually never do but somehow it’s happened and I love them both. The first is All The Light We Cannot See, which everyone has already read but me. Anthony Doerr’s writing is transcendent, illuminating and filled with such beauty and precision that sometimes passages have me holding my breath. I’m also reading Alexis Landau’s debut novel Empire of the Senses, which is set right about the same time period. She is an exquisite painter with words and the characters are captivating.

Next on my list to read is The Witch of Painted Sorrows by MJ Rose, a story about a witch in belle époque Paris that sounds fantastic and The Girl On A Train by Paula Hawkins because I love thrillers and gobble them up whenever I can.
Visit Gwendolyn Womack's website.

--Marshal Zeringue