Sunday, May 17, 2015

Nancy Thayer

Nancy Thayer's many novels include Summer House, The Hot Flash Club, Beachcombers, Heat Wave, Summer Breeze, Island Girls, and the newly released The Guest Cottage.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Thayer's reply:
Only last week did I discover that my sister Martha, who lives half the continent away, has what she calls “Just Before Bed” reading—and I had thought I was the only one.

We both have problems with insomnia, and both of us are mystery fiends. But it’s hard to fall asleep wondering who just eviscerated /poisoned/strangled a victim, so we buy another book and save it to read just before turning off the light.

I’m currently reading A Cold Dish by Craig Johnson. It’s not terribly gory, but it’s a good mystery with compelling characters and the plot does have me guessing, so I also have Jan Karon’s At Home in Mitford on my bedside table. One of her charming, humorous chapters is perfect for reminding me that the world is really a wonderful place. My favorite “Just Before Bed” reading is any of Spencer Quinn’s mysteries written from the point of view of a very funny dog named Chet. They combines mystery with laugh-out-loud humor. A good loud laugh before bed is just what the psychiatrist ordered!
Visit Nancy Thayer's website.

The Page 69 Test: Summer House.

The Page 69 Test: Beachcombers.

My Book, The Movie: Beachcombers.

--Marshal Zeringue